If you do not have a court order for child support, you can apply to the court for one. Where you make your application can depend on where you live, where the other party is living, where your child is living, and whether you were ever divorced from the other person. Sorting out jurisdiction for child support issues is difficult, and you should speak with a lawyer or court staff for help.

If you and the other parent have a separation agreement, you can register the agreement with the court. Once it is registered, it is a ‘court order,’ and support amounts can be enforced through the Maintenance Enforcement Program (MEP).

If you are already enrolled with MEP, you will need to speak with your enforcement officer if you are having difficulty getting your support payments, or if the other party is not paying. If MEP is not enforcing the order, there may be other options available to you, but you will need to get advice from a lawyer about what to do.

Many forms for starting applications are available online, as well. You should get advice from a lawyer or speak with court staff to make sure you are filing the right documents for your case. You will usually have to file several documents to start an application, not just one or two.

Family Law - Question #7

What do I do if the other parent isn’t paying their child support/maintenance?